Behavioral therapy utilizing the principles of Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) as a scientifically proven, evidence-based treatment for those diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder (ASD) has been heavily researched and proven to be effective across a number of service delivery models, including telehealth.
With the advances and greater access to video communication technology, it’s easier than ever before to communicate across great distances at any time of day.
Here at Ascend Autism, we dedicate ourselves to providing the highest quality of care and treatment and making it accessible to all.
Telehealth or telemedicine for autism treatment can shorten waiting lists, overcome geographic issues, and provide more schedule flexibility for families. Parents and children can turn to our telehealth services and receive the same quality of care while accessing therapy remotely.
Benefits of Telehealth Autism Treatment
Without question, the primary benefit of using telehealth in behavior therapy and ABA, in particular, is enhanced access. Whether it is due to geography, availability of therapists, or barriers that inhibit a therapist from entering your home, telehealth treatment removes all of these obstacles and opens the door to the same quality of interactive, behavior therapy sessions focused on communication, social skills, and daily living skills.
Other benefits of telehealth treatment include:
- Increased supervision and communication: Telehealth treatment provides therapists the opportunity for additional supervision hours to supplement their time providing in-home supervision.
- Schedule flexibility: Children with ASD may require more schedule flexibility according to their needs. Telehealth treatment allows for adaptability with treatment.
- Improved patient outcomes and satisfaction: By increasing the frequency of supervision and communication with patients and caregivers, therapists can modify treatment plans and interventions more frequently, as well as regularly conduct training with direct-support professionals.
At Ascend Autism, our experts walk parents and caregivers through best practices as part of our standard parent training program and provide a foundation for further telehealth sessions.
Requirements for Telehealth for Autism Treatment
For telehealth to be effective, individuals need to meet only a few practical requirements:
- Online or live video streaming requires a secure and reliable internet connection.
- Parents or caregivers need to have a stable device through which they can see and speak with their therapist. This is typically a desktop computer, laptop, tablet, or smartphone.
- Once you have met the hardware requirements, then it becomes necessary to turn your attention to the space around you.
An advantage of telehealth for autism treatment is that the individual can receive therapy in the comfort of their home. This still means one has to be prepared and organized:
- Try to set aside a clear block of time as you would for any appointment and establish a clear space within your home that is free from distractions.
- As children become more familiar with the process, the various treatments and programs will become part of a more easily embraced routine.
Contact Us to Learn More About Telehealth for Autism Treatment
Telehealth for autism treatment has numerous benefits. It meets the challenge presented by limited access to care. It also provides families with the necessary flexibility to get the treatment needed.
Ascend Autism understands the need to have as many resources as possible to address the unique issues facing families and individuals with ASD. One way we do this is through our telehealth services. Using online live streaming and conferencing, we can equip and empower parents and caregivers. We can also provide the therapy, guidance, and treatment an individual needs even if they cannot leave their home.
Ascend Autism’s experts are here to help parents sift through the information and find just what they need. We have an array of services for treating autism spectrum disorder and commit ourselves to help children and families. For instance, we offer the following:
Reach out to our knowledgeable and compassionate staff today by calling 877.323.8668 or completing our convenient online form. Learn more about the resources and treatment that we can provide to help support you and your family today.